Even in the first century, they were trying to discredit the Word of God and the voice of Prophecy and the message of the Apostles. The attack continues on today, but God’s Word still stands strong!
- The book you hold in your hand is actually a collection of 66 different books.
- Together, they were written over a period of 1500 years by 40 different men.
- These were men of every walk of life: kings and paupers, priests and prophets, shepherds and doctors, well-educated and common.
- Written in three languages – Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic; on three different continents – Asia, Africa and Europe.
- The correlation of their stories is consistent with the acceptable testimony of any court system. These weren’t word-for-word rehearsed comparisons, but a pure declaration from a variety of witnesses to the same events. We see this in both Old Testament and New Testament writings.
- Compare the record of I and II Kings with that of I and II Chronicles where the same events were covered from two different angels – one a secular/political approach and the other a spiritual/religious approach.
- Compare the four Gospel records – great similarities, some differences, written at different times by four different authors.
- Compare the experiences of individuals as they, either through visions or actual physical presence stand before the Throne room of God: Isaiah, Ezekiel, Daniel and John in Revelation (as well as the account of the Transfiguration of Christ on the mountain top)
- Of all the ancient manuscripts available, the Bible above all has more complete documents closest in time to the original autographs.
- Of the NT alone we have over 25,000 manuscripts dating to within 25-35 years of the original writing. The closest second we have is Homers “Iliad” with only 643 copies dated only as close as 500 years away from the original.
- With manuscripts that close to the original, they would have been contested as false by first or at least second generation eyewitnesses if they were not true or deviated from the known facts.
I could go on and on, and we will this weekend as we look at the Firm Foundation of our Faith. Check out the website of Calvary Chapel Casa Grande within a few days to get the complete message.